After many successful endeavors of the MCU that is the iconic Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Marvel Studios have come up with the all-new action fiction Ms. Marvel now streaming on Disney plus created by Bisha K. Ali.
Let’s learn more about Ms. Marvel!
The story revolves around Kamala Khan—a 16-year-old Pakistani-American growing up in Jersey City. A great student, an avid gamer, and a voracious fan-fiction scribe, she has a special affinity for superheroes, particularly Captain Marvel. But Kamala struggles to fit in at home and at school—that is, until she gets super powers like the heroes she’s always looked up to. Life is easier with superpowers, right? Iman Vellani stars as Kamala Khan aka Ms. Marvel.
The Star Cast
While Iman Vellani stars in the show as the lead character Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) other known stars like Matt Lintz, Yasmeen Fletcher, Zenobia Shroff, Mohan Kapur, Saagar Shaikh, Laurel Marsden, Azhar Usman, Rish Shah, Arian Moayed, Alysia Reiner, Laith Nakli, Nimra Bucha, Travina Springer, Adaku Ononogbo, Samina Ahmad, Fawad Khan, Mehwish Hayat, Farhan Akhtar, and Aramis Knight have also graced the show by their presence.
Here’s what we know about the cast and their characters
• Matt Lintz as Bruno Carrelli: Kamala’s best friend who has a crush on her. Lintz called Carrelli “very loyal” to Kamala, more so after she gets her powers, as it creates a new dynamic between them.
• Yasmeen Fletcher as Nakia Bahadir: Kamala’s close friend, who runs for a position on the mosque board. Fletcher called Bahadir “strong” and “kind of a badass”, who speaks her mind and is confident in who she is, adding she is “opinionated and is willing to fight for anything that she believes in”, as well as a character that “breaks a lot of the stereotypes for hijab girls”.Director Meera Menon felt Bahadir had the “ability to communicate confidence” when needed, while still being “a vulnerable teenage kid, figuring it out like everyone else”. In Ms. Marvel, Bahadir is Lebanese American and mixed-race, like Fletcher, compared to the comics version who is Turkish American.
• Zenobia Shroff as Muneeba Khan: Kamala’s mother and Yusuf’s wife. She is stricter on Kamala than Yusuf, with Shroff saying it comes from her knowing Kamala’s potential while still wanting to “protect her from all that”.
• Mohan Kapur as Yusuf Khan: Kamala’s father and Muneeba’s husband. Kapur described Yusuf as “a warm, caring, compassionate man”, who is more understanding of Kamala and her dreams than Muneeba.
• Saagar Shaikh as Aamir Khan: Kamala’s older brother. Shaikh described Aamir as “kind of aloof and is not as funny as he thinks he is”, who is very religious and serves as a middleman between Kamala and their parents.
• Laurel Marsden as Zoe Zimmer: The most popular girl at Kamala’s high school and a social media influencer.
• Azhar Usman as Najaf: A halal food vendor acquainted with Kamala.
• Rish Shah as Kamran: A boy Kamala has a crush on. Shah believed Kamran is able to relate to Kamala so easily because he had a “a lack of belonging and community” and is able to express himself culturally around her.
• Arian Moayed as P. Cleary: A Department of Damage Control (DODC) agent.
• Alysia Reiner as Sadie Deever: A DODC agent working with Cleary.
• Laith Nakli as Sheikh Abdullah: An imam at Kamala’s mosque.
• Nimra Bucha as Najma: Kamran’s mother and a Djinn, who is the leader of the Clandestines trying to return to their home Noor dimension after being exiled on Earth.
• Travina Springer as Tyesha Hillman: Aamir’s wife.
• Adaku Ononogbo as Fariha: A member of the Clandestine who wields a spear.
• Samina Ahmad as Sana: Kamala’s grandmother who lives in Karachi, Pakistan. Zion Usman portrays a young Sana.
• Fawad Khan as Hasan: Kamala’s great-grandfather.
• Mehwish Hayat as Aisha: Kamala’s great-grandmother, and the original owner of the bangle.
• Farhan Akhtar as Waleed: The leader of the Red Daggers, a group of vigilantes who wear red bandanas and wield throwing knives.
• Aramis Knight as Kareem / Red Dagger:
A member of the Red Daggers.Knight trained with a dialect coach so he could speak Urdu and have a Pakistani accent to “appear like a kid from Karachi” and was “really happy to represent for the culture”.
Ms. Marvel premiered on June 8, 2022, and will consist of six episodes, concluding on July 13. It is part of Phase Four of the MCU. The series will serve as set-up for the film The Marvels (2023), in which Vellani will reprise her role as Khan along with additional cast members from the series. The series received positive reviews, particularly for Vellani’s performance.
For more information and latest updates, visit Gizmotable!